Search This Blog

Monday, September 17, 2007

Grilled Corn with Queso Fresco & Lime Tarragon Butter


This recipe is based on typical street food in Oaxaca, Mexico, where Bernstein once lived. The corn is typically smothered in mayonnaise, dipped in cheese and then covered with a spicy chile powder. Here, Bernstein adds a little melted butter for an American accent. She uses a powdered-sugar shaker to apply an even coating of the chile powder.

6 ears of corn, unhusked
1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon finely chopped tarragon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chile powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 pound queso fresco or mild feta, finely crumbled

Soak the corn in a large bowl of water for 1 hour. Light a grill. On a large plate, blend the butter with the lime juice and tarragon and season with salt and pepper. Spread the butter in a 1/3-inch-thick layer in the center of the plate. In a small bowl, mix the chile powder and cinnamon.

Grill the corn over moderately high heat, turning often, until the husks are evenly charred all over, about 25 minutes. Carefully peel back the corn husks but leave them attached to the cobs. Discard the corn silk and use the husks as a handle. Roll the corn in the softened butter, top with a thick layer of crumbled cheese and sprinkle with the chile powder mixture. Serve right away.

Recipe by Michelle Bernstein
Published in Food & Wine magazine
-------
My adaptation:
I thought it would be a real pain in the you know what to try and remove the silks after cooking, but I followed the recipe anyway, and found it actually seemed easier so I'm thinking of cooking my corn this way all the time. Or at least steaming it in the oven. I adore the flavor that corn husks give to foods anyway.

The only changes I made to the corn were that I used Cilantro instead of Tarragon. Thought that would be a bit more authentic. I used the Feta instead of the Queso Fresco, and even though I can't imagine it being any better I still want to try it with the Queso Fresco next time.

No comments: